About Our Organization
Texas Appleseed is a public interest justice center. Our nonprofit works to change unjust laws and policies that prevent Texans from realizing their full potential. We anchor a dynamic network of pro bono partners and collaborators to develop and advocate for innovative and practical solutions to complex issues. Texas Appleseed also conducts data-driven research that uncovers inequity in laws and policies and identifies solutions for lasting, concrete change. Visit us at www.TexasAppleseed.org.
The Digital Communications Associate assists the Communications Director with Texas Appleseed's external communications needs.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Assist Communications Director and Director of Development on communications activities
- Create Facebook, Twitter and Instagram promoted ads (campaigns and ad groups)
- Create and post organic content for a range of social media sites, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn
- Monitor our social media accounts regarding engagement and for incoming messages
- Create and update ads in GoogleAds
- Create effective, visual graphics using Canva and related graphic design software
- Update areas of our website, including homepage and news coverage
- Maintain local, state and national media lists
- Track news coverage using Google Alerts
- Monitor local, state, and national news stories, and help identify relevant news opportunities
- Serve as a backup editor for Texas Appleseed publications, web copy and other documents
- Assist with other communications writing, such as newsletters, blog posts, and press releases
- Interact with journalists, our partners, board members, and other groups
- Assist with press-related events, as well as special events
- Research and recommend new technologies and social media platforms not currently in use that could benefit our organization’s mission
Required Skills & Qualifications
- A commitment to social and economic justice, and a passion for communications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism/Digital Media, Advertising, or Marketing preferred. Significant experience in one of the fields above may substitute for these degrees.
- At least one year of professional experience in digital/social media
- Strong familiarity with producing ad campaigns and promoted content on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Recent experience (within past two years) with producing and publishing content for an organizational account for social media sites including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and LinkedIn
- Strong writing skills
- Strong editing skills, including knowledge of the Associated Press (AP) Stylebook
- Sharp organizational skills, attention to detail, and the ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks under time constraints
- Strong oral communications skills and ability to interact with diverse groups of people, including community partners, board members, journalists, and people of varied economic, racial, ethnic, and gender backgrounds
- Remains on top of latest best practices regarding social media platforms
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Must meet “Required Skills & Qualifications” above, but we welcome these other skills:
- Video editing expertise, particularly Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere or iMovie
- Ability to edit and create sites in Wix or Drupal
Reports to Communications Director. This position is based in Austin, Texas. This is a part-time, salaried position, with benefits, at 20 hours a week. Due to COVID-19, our office is currently working remotely but will require a minimum of three days per week at the Texas Appleseed office in Austin in the future. Texas Appleseed’s office hours are from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. each weekday. The position is an immediate opening until filled. The approximate salary range is $21,000 to $25,000 per year, commensurate with experience. Texas Appleseed is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org (using subject line: Digital Communications Associate) your resumé, a cover letter, and two original writing samples to the attention of Kelli Johnson, Communications Director. The cover letter should describe your interest in the position and include a detailed explanation of how your experience meets the minimum qualifications and prepares you for the responsibilities outlined in the job description. Our office is working remotely at this time: Please no phone calls. We do not accept phone inquiries regarding the position. Applications and emails are only accepted at our Careers email address listed above.
Posted July 29, 2020