About Our Organization
Texas Appleseed's mission is to promote social and economic justice for all Texans by leveraging the skills and resources of volunteer lawyers and other professionals to identify practical solutions to difficult systemic problems like enabling financial access and eliminating predatory lending, ending the school-to-prison pipeline, encouraging fair housing, and reforming the criminal and juvenile justice systems. For more information, visit www.texasappleseed.org. This position will operate out of Austin, TX and be supervised by the Pro Bono & New Projects Director.
The New Projects Associate will assist the Pro Bono & New Projects Director in evaluating, creating, leading, and developing new policy issue areas that will help Texas Appleseed in its mission to change unjust laws and policies that prevent Texans from realizing their full potential.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Engaging in legal and policy-based research and writing.
- Working with program staff and the Texas Appleseed Emerging Leaders Council in developing and supporting new project issues.
- Working with development staff to provide financial support to identified and approved new projects.
- Conducting surveys and focus groups with direct service providers to help identify systemic solutions that will promote social, economic, and racial justice throughout the State of Texas.
- Maintaining a system of regular communications with partner organizations on possible emerging issue areas.
- Developing and supporting existing “new project” areas, including expanding internet and broadband access, nursing home reform, and ensuring those re-entering society from our criminal justice system are supported.
- Advocating before the Texas Legislature and other deliberative bodies.
- Presenting to and educating various stakeholders and the public regarding new project policy areas, as applicable.
- Working with the Director of Community Outreach to create coalitions that support new projects.
- Assisting program staff with projects as needed.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
- Law degree or Master’s degree required.
- Legal or public policy experience preferred.
- Must have strong attention to detail, excellent oral and written communications skills, and ability to manage multiple projects.
- Project development or project management experience preferred.
- Experience in social media and communications outreach preferred.
- Proven track record of developing and maintaining relationships with clients, strategic partners, and/or volunteers preferred.
- Candidates will have a demonstrated commitment to issues of social, economic, and racial justice.
Reports to Pro Bono & New Projects Director. This position is based in Austin, Texas. This is a full-time position at 40 hours a week. Some travel required (after COVID-19 restrictions are no longer necessary). Texas Appleseed offers competitive pay, paid health, life, dental and vision insurance for full-time employees, a generous paid leave package, as well as retirement matching and flexible hours in an inclusive culture. The approximate salary range is $60,000 to $65,000 per year, commensurate with experience. Due to COVID-19, our office is currently working remotely, but this position will require working in the Austin office in the future. Texas Appleseed’s office hours are from 9:00am – 5:00pm each weekday. The position is an immediate opening until filled. Texas Appleseed is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org (using subject line: New Projects Associate) your resumé, a cover letter, and one original writing sample to the attention of Gabriella McDonald, Pro Bono & New Projects Director. The cover letter should describe your interest in the position and include a detailed explanation of how your experience meets the minimum qualifications and prepares you for the responsibilities outlined in the job description. Our office is working remotely at this time: Please no phone calls. We do not accept phone inquiries regarding the position. Applications and emails are only accepted at the email address listed above.