About Our Organization
Texas Appleseed is a public interest justice center. Our nonprofit works to change unjust laws and policies that prevent Texans from realizing their full potential. We anchor a dynamic network of pro bono partners and collaborators to develop and advocate for innovative and practical solutions to complex issues. Texas Appleseed also conducts data-driven research that uncovers inequity in laws and policies and identifies solutions for lasting, concrete change. Visit us at www.TexasAppleseed.org.
Texas Appleseed is seeking a full-time research associate to provide data analysis for all of our project areas (i.e., criminal justice, youth justice, education justice, fair financial access, etc.).
Roles and Responsibilities
This position will serve a key role in carrying out our mission. The Research Associate will work in conjunction with project directors and under the supervision of the Director of Research to analyze and report key data that shapes and drives our policy recommendations and advocacy. Duties include:
- Cleaning, preparing, and organizing data for analysis, including data entry
- Acquiring project data from primary research and secondary data sources
- Identifying the most appropriate analysis to use for problems and questions presented
- Analyzing quantitative data using varied statistical techniques (such as linear and logistic regression, t tests, odds ratios, chi square analyses)
- Managing multiple data projects across programs
- Presenting data in charts, graphs, tables, maps, reports, and otherwise making data accessible to diverse audiences, including the general public
- Providing written data summaries and co-authoring research reports
- Other duties may be assigned as needed.
- Commitment to issues of social, economic, and racial justice
- 2+ years of experience analyzing quantitative and qualitative data
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of data with attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong research methodology and evaluation skills
- Expert-level proficiency with at least one statistical package (e.g., R, SPSS, SAS, or equivalent)
- Experience with geographical information systems (e.g., ArcGIS or equivalent)
- Experience designing research projects in the social sciences
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Master's degree in social sciences, statistics, or similar field preferred, but not required
Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer
Reports to the Research Director. This is a full-time position at 40 hours per week. Salary ranges from $60,000-$65,000, commensurate with experience. Texas Appleseed offers competitive pay, paid health, life, dental, and vision insurance, a generous paid leave package as well as retirement matching, and flexible hours in an inclusive culture. Due to Covid-19, the office is working remotely. Once it is safe to do so, the position will require working out of the office in Austin, Texas. Texas Appleseed is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to a diverse workplace, and people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.