Texas Appleseed is a public interest justice center. Our nonprofit works to change unjust laws and policies that prevent Texans from realizing their full potential. We anchor a dynamic network of pro bono partners and collaborators to develop and advocate for innovative and practical solutions to complex issues. Texas Appleseed also conducts data-driven research that uncovers inequity in laws and policies and identifies solutions for lasting, concrete change. The many issues on which we work are united by the goal of greater justice. When justice is beyond reach, Texas Appleseed provides the ladder.
Working with a small team and under the co-supervision of the Criminal Justice Project Director and the Assistant Director of Digital Communications, the Social Media Strategist, will work with the Criminal Justice Project team to help create toolkits, generate content for websites, and assist in the rollout of media content in the works.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Assist with the design and execution of social media campaigns
- Create and distribute content such as blogs, infographics, videos and press releases on social media and traditional news outlets
- Track social media engagement to identify high-performing ideas and campaigns for scalability
- Support team at live and online events
- Perform social media marketing research
- Brainstorm and research ideas for original content
- Create compelling graphics to share across social channels
- Write social media captions that speak to the organization’s target audience
- Help create and edit short-form videos
- Develop new strategies for increasing engagement
- Assist with photo/video content shoots
- Ensure brand messaging is consistent
- A Bachelor’s degree in digital communications or related fields such as advertising or journalism. Interested applicants are currently pursuing their Bachelor’s degree and are in their third or fourth year of their program.
- Impeccable oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent internet research skills.
- Mastery of the major social media platforms including Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, and Snapchat.
- Knowledge of social media analytics software including Facebook Insights, Google Analytics and Twitter Analytics to track audience engagement and campaign performance.
- Experience with content management systems, word processor applications and image/video editing software.
Education & Experience
- 2+ years’ experience in digital marketing/social media marketing
The Social Media Strategist will report directly to the Criminal Justice Project Director. This position is a hybrid position (part remote, part in person) and is based out of Austin, TX. This is a salaried position, at an annual salary of $30,000, for part-time work (between 20 and 25 hours a week). Paid holidays, retirement plan distributions, and standard vacation days are included. Health insurance and other full-time employee benefits do not apply.
Texas Appleseed is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, LGBTQ+, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Please email your resumé, cover letter, and two to three original social media posts (e.g., Twitter or FB) that focus on the need for criminal justice reform to email@example.com. Please make sure to include, “Social Media Strategist Position” in the subject line.
The cover letter should describe your interest in the position and include a detailed explanation of how your experience meets the minimum qualifications and prepares you for the responsibilities outlined in the job description.
Applications should be submitted by no later than October 28, 2022.