Every time we use our phones or computers, data is collected about us, often without our knowledge or active consent. Data, like where we go and what we shop for, is collected and sold. It is later used by any person or company willing to pay the price to influence our behavior, target advertising, and even to funnel us, unknowingly, into particular products or services.
Texas Appleseed is exploring data privacy as part of our Fair Financial Services work, to support individual control over our own personal information. Data privacy and control is a civil right that is, under current laws, too often denied to Texans.
- Comment: An Inquiry into Big Tech Payment Platforms (December 2021)
- Blog: Texas at the Crossroads – An Update on Privacy Legislation (November 15, 2021)
- Letter: Addressed to Multiple Agencies – Financial Institutions’ Use of Artificial Intelligence, including Machine Learning (July 1, 2021)
- Blog: Texas at the Crossroads: Protecting Privacy and Civil Rights (April 27, 2021)
- Report: Texas at the Crossroads: Protecting Privacy and Civil Rights (April 2021)